THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Welcome to my Gypsy Caravan!

Because Mrs. B is on the East Coast, and I don't get up that freakin early!.. I am posting this Thursday night... for Friday the 16th.

Thank you for following the fabulous Mrs. B's Haunted Walking Tour to visit! She is a doll isn't she? My name is Kristina, and this is my blog. I write about whatever seems to come to mind usually. I hope you will look around and stay a while!

I want to share a little bit about Halloween… and the day that actually started it all. Then I want to share some old-witches tales about Halloween.

Halloween was formerly known as Samhain. The name and the holiday evolved over the years to become what we now know. You may be surprised to learn that Halloween is, to many modern-day witches and pagans, the most sacred night of the year. And contrary to many misunderstandings, Samhain/Halloween is not a holy day of the Devil, (most Pagans don’t believe in the Christian Devil) or an evil holiday. For many cultures, throughout many centuries, Samhain has been celebrated as a harvest festival, a time of mirth and magick, a night of ancestors, as well as a New Year’s Eve celebration. Hundreds of years ago, the Celtic people followed a calendar that began and ended with October 31/November 1st, and they believed that on this last day of the year, the veil between the living and the dead grew very thin, allowing contact across the veil both ways. Many of the traditional decorations of ghosts, skeletons, and skulls have long been used to signify those who have passed before. The same symbols are now used to delight and terrify us!

Over the years, many traditions and old-witches tales were developed for Halloween night, believing that the ancestors who have passed before would help you to divine your future. Many of methods are still around: tarot cards, scrying, crystal balls, runes, etc. Many more customs have not passed the test of time. These lesser known methods of divination were often believed to reveal your future husband/wife/lover. I found them so intriguing I knew I had to share!

  • In England, it was once believed that when hemp was tossed over the shoulder at midnight on Halloween, a vision of your future husband/wife would appear.
  • To learn the initials of your future spouse, peel an apple in one long piece, then toss the peel over your left shoulder or into a bowl of water. If a letter of the alphabet is formed, this is the first initial of the first name. Repeat for the first initial of the last name.
  • To find out how many kids you will have, pluck a stalk of oats on Halloween. The number of grains is the number of children you will have. However, if the top grain is missing, this is a sign that you will lose your virginity before your wedding!

Halloween has such a rich history! It is by far my favorite holiday… and I can’t wait! Also, I promise I’m not nearly this educational on a regular basis! Please come back again and visit!

17 comments:

Pink Haired Momma said...

COOL POST! Thanks for all the information. I LOVE Halloween. It is my favorite holiday and favorite time of year! LOL hence our wedding this year on Halloween in just 16 days!!!! I want my daughter to grow up knowing what halloween is all about, not just that it is a candy day. Loved the info! Love you blog! Thanks for sharing!

mrsb said...

Thanks, Kristina, for hosting us today!

For those who are participating in the 31 Days of Halloween, take an extra entry to any 1 giveaway by posting the word "Gypsy" to it's post!

Wendy Hawksley said...

Thanks for hosting us! I love Samhain divination. ;) Great spooky laugh track. Eeek!

Stuff On My Blog said...

That's for letting the hoardes visit you :D Loving he background!

Tori said...

Thanks for the wicked informative post! Your blog looks great, Mrs. B rocks for doing all this. She's introducing us all to some awesome people. :)

Mother's Moon's Message said...

just love all the information... thanks for letting us all visit...

~Wendy~ said...

Wonderful!
Wendy- for The Gothic Tea Society

Sabrina@goddessaday.com said...

Thanks for inviting us to visit! I'm adding your button to my button bar--I swear I'm going to have more buttons than posts by the time October is over!

ELLIE said...

just stopping by from mrs b's blog

Witchy Mom's Homeschool said...

Fun! Thanks for the post!

Stitchinwitch said...

Thanks for a great post

Angela said...

Great post! Always wonderful to share the truths about the holiday instead of continuing with the lies.

Bridgett said...

Thanks, doll! This was great!

Love your new picture. :)

)O(
boo

Diane said...

terrific blog!!! glad i stopped in!

Nydia said...

Lovely post, with good info about this great holiday (wish we had so much fun on this day here in Brazil!)

Kisses from Nydia.

Domesticated Gypsy said...

Thanks all for stopping by! The blog tour is so much fun and I was delighted to be involved! I'm starting to get so many followers now! If I make it to 100 I think I shall have something special in mind to celebrate! :) Please come back and visit again ladies!

Irish Goddess said...

That is awesome I didn't know most of that and I want to try scrying that would be awesome lol