THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, November 15, 2009

I have been awesome!

I just got the new issue of Glamour magazine, and I just finished reading it from cover to cover. I have to share some of what I love about it! Well, I loved everything about it, but I will only share a little, because if I share it all, you have no reason to read it! :) This is their annual Women of the Year Issue and I am so inspired!

First, I have something political to say. And anyone who knows me knows that I have a strong opinion about politics. If you are not educated and informed about politics, you have no right to have an opinion about them! That being said, I don't usually have much to say, because I am not informed and don't want to be ignorant. However, in this one case, I want to say this. Whether everyone likes them or not, the fact that the Obama's are in the White House is such an amazing leap forward for our country. The fact that Michelle's great great ancestor was a slave who sold for $475 at an auction in the 1850's (pg 60, Dec 09 Glamour) and she is now the First Lady shows how far we have come.

OK, on to less political speak. In an article about finding the best dresses for your body, Glamour actually included Plus Sizes... and they put them first! Usually us bigsexytypes rarely get mentioned along with the dress-your-big-butt-small-boobs-high-waist-short-legs-body articles at all, and if we do, its at the end of the article. But this time, we are first! (pg 138) This is another way that we have advanced as a country, as women, as a culture, and in the media. We wont be the last acceptable stereotype any more! (I'm sorry, I'm seriously on a soap box today. I wont be offended if you stop reading now!)

You need to read pg 84, the story at the bottom of the page. It is a tearjerker! One last thing and then I promise to stop typing!

I am going to lift a quote straight from the magazine. Have you heard of Precious? It is a movie I have planned to see, but haven't yet. It stars a BBBW... a Big Beautiful Black Woman and this was her first movie roll ever! She is quoted (page 94) as saying, "The press paints the picture that I got this role and now I'm awesome. But the truth is that I've been awesome, and then I got this role."
HOW FUCKING FABULOUS IS THAT????
I am so inspired but those two sentences that I texted it to my friends, and put it on my Myspace and Facebook. She is so real and so right to say that. And WE ARE. We are fabulous already. Before the great job, the great man, the great family, the great movie roll, the 200 followers, etc. Already. We "have been awesome" and it sometimes takes those other things before other people realize it. But we should realize it now. And never forget it.
OK shameless (unpaid) advertising complete. I really think you should pick up this issue though, you wont be disappointed.
PS. You are already fabulous!

6 comments:

Bridgett said...

Go Glamour magazine!!!
I'm due to start getting a subscription next month, which I won. Yay!

BTW, completely agree about the Obamas. I'm proud of our country for voting an African American man into the White House.

I really want to see the part on the plus-sized dresses. I need advice! LOL

)O(
boo

The Soccer Moms' Guide to Wicca said...

I don't think I need to read the article, I've been inspired by you:) I put on a lot of weight due to changing around drug cocktails with my doctor over the last year - and I had kept my weight stable for a long time. I am in a better mental state to handle the repercussions, but it's damn frustrating to have a closet full of gorgeous clothes that don't fit. Trading mental health for a bunch of weight? I'm happy to finally be mentally healthy.

Now, if I could only paint myself into my favorite jeans, which are now 4 sizes to small...grrr
-Fae

PS, I love Obama too, but he needs to stop playing the nice guy and being walked over by the right-wing nut jobs. Take a stance and push your agenda, we're with you all the way, Barack!

The Soccer Moms' Guide to Wicca said...

PS I stole your button. It's great!

Hoi Sum said...

Thanks for sharing this info! It is a wonderful feeling when culture starts to change in a positive direction! Glad you liked the Youtube song I posted! I heard that artist on the podcast The Wigglian Way-which if you haven't checked out their show you totally should-it's a great podcast!
Have a fabulous and sexy weekend girl!

Blessings,
Hoi Sum

The pale observer said...

Awesome! I've been wanting to see Precious too!!

Great blog - I'm your latest follower :)

Cheers
Holli in Ghana

SpiritPhoenix said...

I stumbled across your blog today and read through everything. You've got a great sense of humor and I enjoyed myself immensely.

Just wanted you to know who it was that followed you today.