THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book of Shadows... Chapter 7

My best friend Irish Goddess and I have been working out way through The Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott. She has been blogging about each chapter, and now I am taking over for a few chapters.
In this chapter, she talks about different methods of divination: runes, tarot cards, the I Ching, etc. What I found most interesting in the chapter is how she describes learning about these, and realizing that the idea that life was predetermined is not true. Many people think these methods of divining the future and past are just that, insights into a predetermined future. But the words she uses to describe it are more perfect than any I can come up with.

"These oracles, these divining tools, are like a lighthouse to a ship at sea. They tell you where the shore is, where the rocks lie, offering guidance in a storm or on a dark and starless night. But, ultimately, the decision as to how to chart our course is your own. Your choices, your free will, your expectations, fears, longings, beliefs all affect the outcome of events."(pg 147-8)


It is interesting that this stood out to me, because Amanda and I were discussing tarot cards just last night. We did a reading a while back, each of us reading for the other, and we both felt so touched by it. Since then she has gotten herself a tarot deck. I've also started using a daily tarot card app on Facebook, with uncanny results. I have been touched more and more lately by the tarot, and hope to learn much more about my decks. Have any of you had any great experiences with tarot? Please share if you have!


6 comments:

Irish Goddess said...

I agree with you on this as I used to think that Tarot cards were stupid and now I am really amazed by what I am finding.

RetroKali said...

That was the first book I read on the Craft, and I treasure it.

Aine O'Brien said...

I have been reading tarot for 20 years and I never ceased to be amazed. Most of more amazing readings seem to come when using the Thoth deck. I know some people resist using this deck because of the reputation of it's creator, Aleister Crowley, but the deck itself is amazing. I had to wait until I was very familiar with tarot to learn it, but it was worth the wait.

Just A Gal said...

Yet another book that sounds amazing! That must be so fun to have someone around you can share the Craft with. I miss those days. I will have to try the tarot. It seems to tell you a lot about yourself, which is always a good lesson.

~*Gypsy*~ said...

that's awesome, and it's how I've always viewed divination too: tools to guide us, not to tell us our fate, but to give us an idea of what choices we have and what might result from the choices we make.

Mama's Thyme said...

Love that passage - adding it to my own BOS! My 5 year old daughter picked up my deck the other day and was playing it and selected 5 cards and got a reading that made me shiver. It was just so HER. Still working on establishing that same relationship with my runes.